Personal Online Journal

Thursday, January 10, 2013

Be Satisfied

On the way home from work yesterday I listened to this song


Rapunzel had filled her day with good activities, yet she was not satisfied.  She knew that there was something missing.  In short it was relationships with her parents, her soul-mate and others in her life.

Even human relationships cannot fully satisfy us.  Nephi said,
Wherefore, do not spend money for that which is of no worth, nor your labor for that which cannot satisfy. Hearken diligently unto me, and remember the words which I have spoken; and come unto the Holy One of Israel, and feast upon that which perisheth not, neither can be corrupted, and let your soul delight in fatness. (1 Ne 9:51)
There are many good and better things we can fill our lives with.  None of them will matter if we don't find and hold on to the best and vital things of life.  This scripture identifies some of those things as
- Come unto Jesus Christ
- Feast upon the scriptures and the other words of God
- Delight in the abundance the Lord will bless you with as you follow the guidance of the Holy Ghost

President Packer gave an illustration that came to mind about being satisfied.  He told a story about someone who lived in the forest.  When winter came there was not much food for the deer to eat.  They decided to feed the deer hay.  The deer loved it.  Later though, they started to die.  They were eating but were not being nourished.  The hay did not have the nutrients they need to be healthy.

In the same way, we can fill our lives with food-like substances.  Something that looks like and perhaps even tastes like food and is very attractive.  But we will starve spiritually, emotionally, mentally and physically if we are not seeking out and preserving sources that really satisfy us.

How will you know if you are starving?  You feel it.  You will sense it.  Perhaps you recognize it now.  I know I do.  Things that I know will not satisfy me.  Ways of acting and reacting to my loved ones that do not give me the results that I want.  If I am to have satisfying relationships, I must follow the perfect Example to nurture them.  I must do as Jesus would do.  Or at the least stretch towards it, asking for His Grace in my efforts.



No comments: