Personal Online Journal

Sunday, September 22, 2013

The Calculus I Want

Calculus has been a theme of my writing here. Not the kind we normally think of. The awesome math one. This is another awesome concept that has just as much power. This kind means the character we build for ourselves from the live we choose to live.

I attended a Boy Scout training, Little Philmont today. For a lot of it, negative self talk ruled my mind.  You see, I did not have the best Scouting experience growing up.  I have long attributed it to myself.  And that is an accurate assessment.  I wonder if my negative self assessment of my scouting diligence is serving me today?  I am sure it does not.

If I believe that Jesus can do what He says he can do, then I know that he can heal me of the deficiencies I have in being a scout leader. That I can incrementally and sometimes, perhaps miraculously fast, I can serve the young men that I have been called of God to serve.

That is my duty to God. To learn what to do and how to do it. Act on my learning.  Day by day, week by week, year by year. Until I have become the man of God that includes the Scouter our prophets, seers and revelators have asked me to be.

Am I to be patient with myself? Yes. Am I to be diligent? Yes. Only time will tell what I have chosen for the next several years. And that result begins with a decision to move in that direction in the next days and weeks.

No comments: