Personal Online Journal

Wednesday, August 08, 2007

“Stubbornness is as … idolatry”

Last night I was stubborn with my wife. I held on to my hostile feelings. Unyielding, willful and stony heart are some of the phrases that came to my mind this morning as I considered my behavior last night.

This quote from an Old Testament Gospel Doctrine Teacher’s Manual opened my eyes to what I was choosing with my behavior,
When reprimanding Saul for being stubborn and rejecting the word of the Lord, Samuel told him, “Stubbornness is as … idolatry” (1 Samuel 15:23). How is stubbornness like idolatry? What was the result of Saul’s becoming stubborn and rebellious? (See 1 Samuel 15:23, 26, 28.) How are we sometimes stubborn and rebellious? What are the results of our being stubborn and rebellious? How can we recognize and overcome these attitudes?
How can I overcome this attitude I take sometimes? Immediately the phrase “[yield] to the enticings of the Holy Spirit” Mosiah 3:19 came to my mind. Then can this promise come into my life.

"A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh." Ezekiel 36:26

My nature will be changed. I will let go of my stubbornness and enjoy the relief the Lord offers me.

No comments: