Personal Online Journal

Monday, January 17, 2011

"How is it that ye have forgotten..."

My co-teacher in primary, Matt Bejot, first read the Book of Mormon when he was 11 years old because a teacher challenged him to.  He extended the same challenge to the boys in our 10-11 year old classroom for this year.  I think it is a great idea.  I couldn't very well have the boys do it and not me.  So I am going to read the Book of Mormon this year with them. The last time I "read" it was when President Hinckley challenged everyone to read it by the end of 2005.  I lot of what I did though was listen to it on CD.  As a family we have been slowly reading through it for years now. I feel so excited to read it again.  I had caught up with our goal of 2 pages a day.  At that rate you finish it in September.

Today, as I was catching up I read the following phrase three times in 1 Nephi 7:10-12, "How is it that ye have forgotten?"  There have been many times that I have forgotten the goodness of the Lord in my life.  It is such a good reminder to me the remember the blessings of the Lord in my life.  To remember my testimony.  My experiences.  Sometimes it doesn't make sense intellectually.  But my spirit feels it.  There is a knowledge that comes from receiving Love.  From feeling forgiveness.  From relationships where healing occurs where I never hoped there could have.

3 comments:

Dandi said...

What a great challenge. I think of the sons of Helaman, how faithful they were, for they knew the gospel.

Elder Victor Moxley said...

We were discussing this subject in a recent zone conference. In it our mission president brough up this quote, "Hardness of heart first comes in the form of forgetfulness and one consequence of stiffneckedness is unwillingness to inability to look back at life's lessons." -Neal A Maxwell
Great post!

Richard Alger said...

Thanks for your comments, Dandi and Elder Moxley.

I appreciate both your thoughts and quotes.