Personal Online Journal

Tuesday, March 03, 2015

Each of My Children Has Made Me a Better Man

I recently posted "KIDS AREN’T EXPENSIVE, BUT THAT OTHER THING SURE IS"on Facebook. I later saw this.

Comedian Jim Gaffigan has 5 children; here's how he answers the "Why so many?!" question:
“Well, why not? I guess the reasons against having more children always seem uninspiring and superficial. What exactly am I missing out on? Money? A few more hours of sleep? A more peaceful meal? More hair? These are nothing compared to what I get from these five monsters who rule my life. I believe each of my five children has made me a better man. So I figure I only need another thirty-four kids to be a pretty decent guy."
Kids do cost money. There is food, shelter, extra curricular activities, doctors, accidents, etcetera, etcetera... But there are many things we can do without.

My dad once told me about a conversation we had with co-workers. After hearing about their hobbies, he thought to himself that his children are his. Though that word does not capture the investment and time and love.

It reminds me of "this is my work and my glory—to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man." (Moses 1:39) God puts his work and heart and soul into us, his children. How could I not be a part of that great work and bring children into this world and help them achieve the kind of life God lives? Through the grace and power of his Son.

No comments: