Personal Online Journal

Thursday, October 15, 2015

What is the "Rest of the Lord"?

The Guide to the Scriptures says,
The enjoyment of peace and freedom from worry and turmoil. The Lord has promised such rest to his faithful followers during this life. He has also prepared a place of rest for them in the next life.

Of the rest of the Lord, President Joseph F. Smith said,

To my mind, it means entering into the knowledge and love of God, having faith in his purpose and in his plan, to such an extent that we know we are right, and that we are not hunting for something else, we are not disturbed by every wind of doctrine, or by the cunning and craftiness of men who lie in wait to deceive. We know of the doctrine that it is of God, and we do not ask any questions of anybody about it; they are welcome to their opinions, to their ideas and to their vagaries. The man who has reached that degree of faith in God that all doubt and fear have been cast from him, he has entered into ‘God’s rest’ (Teachings of Presidents of the Church: Joseph F. Smith [1998], 56, Quoted in "Rest unto Your Souls", Per G. Malm, Oct 2010).
Joseph Smith said
Let us here observe, that three things are necessary in order that any rational and intelligent being may exercise faith in God unto life and salvation. First, the idea that He actually exists.  
Secondly, a correct idea of His character, perfections, and attributes.  
Thirdly, an actual knowledge that the course of life which he is pursuing is according to His will. 
(Joseph Smith, Lectures on Faith, 3:2-5)
I can know that I am living a life that is according to God's will without having a knowledge God does exist. I can believe in God. I can feel the influence of the Holy Ghost. I can align my life with morals, with ethics. I can live with integrity to my word, my covenants.

None of this requires me knowing that God lives. I can believe. I can step out in faith. I can have the rest of the Lord as I remain inside integrity.

The paradox is that for me to live a life I love, and to live it powerfully, I will want more than I am. I want possibilities outside of my realm of reality. I want my integrity to be bigger. As I create my possibilities, I create breakdowns between my word and my reality. I am outside of integrity.

This is good news. It means there is an opportunity for growth. My reality grows to meet my new word. To be inside of a bigger integrity.

The key is to get really, really good at restoring integrity. Be open, be brave, be in action, be at peace.

Be in the Lord's rest.

No comments: