Personal Online Journal

Tuesday, November 11, 2014

The Terrible Questions

Hugh Nibley:
Last week I received two letters that introduce us very well to the "terrible questions." One was from a gentleman in Colorado, a long, long, extremely indignant letter with ninety-eight questions… 
In questions on epistomology our correspondent asks fifty-four questions. For example, "If God is a junior god in the universe, and there are more senior gods, why shouldn't I put my faith in a senior god? 
Next are questions on ontology, the nature of being. For example, "How is Mormonism different metaphysically from ancient pagan concepts?" (We could write a long book on that question!) "What about autonomy of the human will, and free agency?"  
Then come eighteen questions on ethics, or "ethica," as he calls it… 
In the hereafter, what difference will these questions make? The real question, of course, is, Is this all there is? This is what everybody wants to know, the only question that bothers us. If you can answer that definitely, then our troubles are over; there is nothing left to worry about.
To expand on that question, he tells the story of Clement and his questions:
-"I wondered…if I didn't exist before I was born."
-"When was this world made, or what was there before it was made, or did it always exist?"
-"Whether there would be a life for me after death or whether I wouldn't be anything at all afterward."

These remind me of when my son asked who created God? He was never satisfied. For weeks and even months off and on again these kind of questions would come up. To be honest I have never been satisfied by the answers I have gotten except for the question I got as an answer. "What difference does it make if I know exactly what the origin of God is?"

The more pertinent question are:
- "Is there really a God?"
- "Is He really all powerful, all knowing and perfect in every way?"
- "He really loves me knowing perfectly who I am in my deepest, darkest place?"
- "Is my life acceptable to Him?"

These really are the three things that are necessary for salvation.
Let us here observe, that three things are necessary, in order that any rational and intelligent being may exercise faith in God, unto life and salvation: 
First, the idea that he actually exists.
Second, a correct idea of his character, perfections and attributes.
Third, an actual knowledge that the course of life which he is pursuing, is according to his will. (Lectures on Faith 3:2-5)

No comments: