Personal Online Journal

Wednesday, December 01, 2010

Staying on Safe Ground

Let us here observe, that three things are necessary, in order that any rational and intelligent being may exercise faith in God, unto life and salvation:

First, the idea that he actually exists.
Second, a correct idea of his character, perfections and attributes.
Third, an actual knowledge that the course of life which he is pursuing, is according to his will.
How can I know that the the life I am leading is according to God's will?  I have the scriptures.  I have prayer.  I have the Holy Ghost. I have priesthood leaders.  

I searched lds.org/scriptures for rock foundation.  There is a list of interesting scriptures it returns.

2 Nephi 28:27-28 "Yea, wo be unto him that saith: We have received, and we need no more! And in fine, wo unto all those who tremble, and are angry because of the truth of God! For behold, he that is built upon the rock receiveth it with gladness; and he that is built upon a sandy foundation trembleth lest he shall fall."  We should expect that more revelation will come.  If we are founded on the rock, we will receive it with gladness.

After declaring the doctrine of Christ, Jesus says this, "And whoso shall declare more or less than this, and establish it for my doctrine, the same cometh of evil, and is not built upon my rock; but he buildeth upon a sandy foundation, and the gates of hell stand open to receive such when the floods come and the winds beat upon them." 3 Nephi 11:40

This makes me think of these scriptures on what is the priority:
 "Say nothing but repentance unto this generation; keep my commandments, and assist to bring forth my work, according to my commandments, and you shall be blessed." D&C 6:9
"And of tenets thou shalt not talk, but thou shalt declare repentance and faith on the Savior, and remission of sins by baptism, and by fire, yea, even the Holy Ghost." D&C 19:31
"And now, behold, I say unto you, that the thing which will be of the most worth unto you will be to declare repentance unto this people, that you may bring souls unto me, that you may rest with them in the kingdom of my Father. Amen." D&C 16:6

As I focus on repenting of those things I know of.  As I exercise faith in Jesus Christ.  I will be on safe ground.  

1 comment:

Papa D said...

Absolutely, Rich.

It has been amazing to me the growth that occurs on the "safe ground" of practicing the Gospel - and how that "practical safety" makes me free to pursue what I might call "intellectual risk" in a safe manner.

It's when one gets out of balance with the other that problems occur, imo - which relates directly to your e-mail to me, I believe.