Personal Online Journal

Saturday, January 31, 2015

To Succor

My wife recently told me of a meaning of succor that I hadn't thought of before. It is from the Middle English, sucuren, "to go beneath, run to help". As I think of what this means in the scriptures, I cannot help but think of my wife's natural reaction for when she hears one of our children in pain. She runs to help them. She get's her arms underneath them and comforts them.

I am moved when I think of the Savior doing just this as I think on these passages.
2 Corinthians 6:2 "(For he saith, I have heard thee in a time accepted, and in the day of salvation have I succoured thee: behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation.)" 
Hebrews 2:18 "For in that he himself hath suffered being tempted, he is able to succour them that are tempted." 
D&C 62:1 "Behold, and hearken, O ye elders of my church, saith the Lord your God, even Jesus Christ, your advocate, who knoweth the weakness of man and how to succor them who are tempted."
And how he asked us to do the same for each other.
D&C 81:5 "Wherefore, be faithful; stand in the office which I have appointed unto you; succor the weak, lift up the hands which hang down, and strengthen the feeble knees."
These thoughts were inspired by the song our choir plans to sing in Feb, "Come Unto Jesus". I could not help but think of Aragorn as a type of Christ and how he ran to help and knew how to heal.


Jesus will run to help us, "I, the Lord, will feel after them, and if they harden not their hearts, and stiffen not their necks against me, they shall be converted, and I will heal them." (D&C 112:13)  He is only waiting for us to ask for help. He is only waiting to heal us, to sooth us. To stand us on our feet and let us put on His strength. To aid him in succoring our neighbors.


----------------
Come Unto Jesus Hymn 117

1. Come unto Jesus, ye heavy laden,
Careworn and fainting, by sin oppressed.
He'll safely guide you unto that haven
Where all who trust him may rest.

2. Come unto Jesus; He'll ever heed you,
Though in the darkness you've gone astray.
His love will find you and gently lead you
From darkest night into day.

3. Come unto Jesus; He'll surely hear you,
If you in meekness plead for his love.
Oh, know you not that angels are near you
From brightest mansions above?

4. Come unto Jesus from ev'ry nation,
From ev'ry land and isle of the sea.
Unto the high and lowly in station,
Ever he calls, "Come to me."

No comments: