Personal Online Journal

Friday, May 01, 2015

"Then Will I Make Weak Things Become Strong unto Them"

We all come into this world with broken machinery. We are perfect spirits from our Heavenly Parents. We are joined with a fallen body. Entropy kicks in. Our bodies have bred in them genetic flaws. The processes of developing as an embryo, fetus and as a child are not perfect and contribute to the weakness we have. Add to that the damage we infict upon the innocents around us. It is no wonder why our machines are so messed up.

The Lord has told us why we have weakness.
And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them.And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them. (Ether 12:27)
This reminds me of a story recorded by my friend Geoff Nelson, Praying with your Feet. Russell Hancock tells his story. A story of a Mormon who felt second rate because he didn't receive a testimony like those he saw around him. It took decades of experience and a willingness to stick to what he believed to be good and true.

He did receive his testimony, but not like the path almost exclusively told among Mormons.

In fact, for the last several years, I relate much more to the second way Russell describes. Alma 32 details the second formula to get a testimony. I have found it comforting and reassuring.

We all come into this world fractured, broken and weak. As we recognize the strength we brought with us in our essence, we can sucessfully separate our identities from our broken bodies. We are the divine that created us in perfection. Not the temporary vessels we occupy in this life.


No comments: