Personal Online Journal

Monday, February 05, 2018

Reasons to Believe



I relate to this. There is part of me that worries about how this video or other things might expose my friends and families to things that might cause them to doubt.

We are in the fullness of times. All things are becoming available to those who seek them. The genie is out of the bottle. Instead of trying to put it back in, we need to be willing to see things as they are. To seek for the truth.

I love the phrase he uses, "reasons to believe". There are reasons to believe. There are reasons to not believe. Outside of all these reasons, I choose to believe because I choose to believe.

I want the things I believe to be true. Because it brings me hope. Because I see the good it creates as I and those around me act on them. To live a life living the covenants we make. To live in a state of asking for help to enable me to live up to my covenants.

Jesus Christ is the source. He is the one that created all we see. He is the way, the truth and the life. He called on Joseph to organize his church. To make available the covenants necessary to bind us to him.

Joseph was not without flaw. Neither are the ones who followed him and those who lead us today. We all see through a glass darkly. We must all rely on the power of God to save us and to lead us to all that is good and true.

Let us be courageous. Let us live lives that show the power of God that is in us. When we don't, let's get back up one more time than we fall. Collectively and individually.

--
My FB post about this.

--

An analogy from my friend Amanda
When the brother of Jared went to the Lord asking him to help his solve two problems with the barges he built, the Lord solved one of the problems and then told the brother of Jared to figure out a way to solve the other. And so he did. I sincerely believe that the Lord could have offered a more effective solution, but that wasn't the point. He wanted the brother of Jared to think it out and then come back to the Lord; and so must we; including the leadership of the church.  
I absolutely believe that some of the controversies or problems we face as a church could be solved easily and effectively by the Lord, but that's not the point. He wants us to learn and grow, to depend on each other and to try to work many things out for ourselves. If we didn't, it would be like us doing the homework for our children. Sure they'd get all the answers right, but would never learn anything for themselves.





No comments: