Personal Online Journal

Monday, August 31, 2015

A Distinction from Expectation

"I expect great things from you"
"I expected you at  7:00"
"My husband expects me to have dinner on the table at 6:30"

What feeling do you get from these feelings? They mean obligation. And not necessarily by agreement. Instead it is only what one party wants from the other one. Based on what? Some possibilities might be.

- That is how my dad did it.
- I don't want the same problems mother always caused.

Is there a different word that might be more neutral in its agreed upon meaning? One that might have the positives that sometimes come from "I expect"

Here are some ideas that are in the realm of the word I am looking for.
High tide raises all boats. Inspire without trying to get people to do something using your strengths. What do you want? Is this a deal breaker? Agree on the standard to be reached.

No comments: